I have several women that I work with from entrepreneurs to teachers to stay at home moms. They come to me feeling bogged down.
They have no energy, they struggle to focus, complain of brain fog, and asking them to get through a day with no caffeine is like asking them if I can take their first born child.
If you are a busy woman (or man) who use to be able to take on the world and now you feel completely burnt out and you can’t figure out what the heck is wrong, it could be Adrenal Fatigue.
For years I dealt with fatigue, increasing anxiety, and irritability. I would wind up with coffee and wind down with wine. I couldn’t focus without the stimulants and the wine was necessary to calm down.
Over the years this cycle only made the brain fog worse and I slowly felt more depressed and less able to handle stress. What I use to be able to do in life was SO much harder.
I started to snap at the drop of a hat. Everything in life was overwhelming. I couldn’t take on as much as I use to be able to and this made me feel awful.
I felt crazy, like all of this was in my head.
Then it started to manifest into physical symptoms like acid reflux and spotted vision.
I was tired of going to the doctor and telling me that everything was fine and that I needed to take anti-depressants. (I had tried that…..it only gave me panic attacks).
Stories similar to this come up again and again with my clients too.
I knew there was something more and so I started to research and took my health into my own hands.
Fast forward to today…..I feel vibrant, alive, A WHOLE LOT calmer, and I can tolerate stress MUCH better. I have energy in the morning and throughout most of the day and I’m tired at night when I’m supposed to be. There are hard days like anyone, but I feel so good overall!
What happened is that in all of my research I learned about Adrenal Fatigue and how it could be the root cause of my anxiety, depression, fatigue, and low tolerance for stress (oh and my inability to lose weight regardless of how hard I was working out).
I started supporting my adrenals with the right food and supplements and the results were astonishing. I mean it wasn’t an overnight process, it took time, but I can’t believe how much better I feel!
Think Adrenal Dysfunction (or adrenal fatigue) might be the culprit? Read on.
What are your Adrenal Glands?
Your adrenal glands are two walnut-sized glands that sit on top of your kidneys and are connected to almost every system in your body. They regulate your cortisol and adrenaline in response to stress, other hormones, and even your blood sugar.
They are crucial for proper thyroid function as well, so if you have thyroid issues, you should absolutely look at your adrenals.
What is Adrenal Fatigue?
Due to our current lifestyle, our adrenal glands are constantly responding to stress. They respond to internal and external stresses in a similar way.
Your stress may come from things like sitting in traffic, or just the everyday stress of your never-ending to do list (can I get a witness mommy friends?).
It also may be from internal factors like the food you eat or toxins ingested from your environment.
Regardless of the type of stress, this constant state of “fight or flight” keeps those adrenals working hard and eventually they struggle to keep up and they don’t function as well, or as they are supposed to.
One of the most common symptoms is a disordered sleep cycle (ie. tired in the morning, exhausted in the afternoon, and then wide awake at night).
Other Symptoms of Adrenal Fatigue:
- Weakened immune system (do you get sick all the time?)
- Always tired
- Cravings for salty and sweet foods
- Lack of Libido
- Overuse of caffeine
- Difficulty Sleeping
- Brain Fog
- Weight Gain (specifically around the midsection)
There are 4 stages of Adrenal Dysfunction and I was the lucky winner of complete burnout. You don’t have to get there, and if you do, I am proof that you can heal.
How to begin to heal the adrenals:
These are some steps that have worked for me and my clients. If you think you have adrenal fatigue and need support, you can schedule a Complementary Breakthrough Session with me today ($147 value)
- Drink plenty of clean, filtered water every day. You can sprinkle a little sea salt in it to help absorb the water also…..adrenals love sea salt and need it to function.
- Reduce Intake of Processed/Highly Refined Foods. Transition to eating real food. This reduces the toxin load which reduces the stress put on the body.
- Increase foods with magnesium. Foods like green leafy vegetables (specifically spinach and chard), Pumpkin Seeds, Almonds, Avocado, Kefir or Yogurt, and wait for it…….Dark Chocolate! Magnesium is the anti-stress mineral so it helps support you in lowering your stress. If you have trouble managing your stress response, you may want to take a magnesium citrate or magnesium glycinate supplement.
- Eat a high protein breakfast. Eating a high protein breakfast will help boost your cortisol first thing in the morning when it’s supposed to be high. This will help you get you moving and make it easier to reduce caffeine intake.
- Reduce Caffeine. Yep, I said it. This is the hardest one to do, but it’s crucial to healing. Caffeine puts stress on the adrenal glands and causes them to secrete cortisol. Go easy on your self and ease off of the caffeine. This may take some time. It did for me.
- Take Adaptogenic Herbs. Adaptogenic Herbs like Ashwagandha help to heal the body by bringing it back into balance. There are many adaptogens that help heal the adrenals but Ashwagandha is my favorite because it helps ease anxiety and boost the immune system.
- Reduce Stress. Find ways to manage your stress. Make time to take care of yourself. Whether that means meditation, baths, time in nature, or whatever helps you to decompress and lower your stress. I find a good way is to also delegate. Take stuff off of your to-do list by either letting it go or delegating it to someone else.
I hope these tips help you to get started on your healing journey. If you have further questions about Adrenal Dysfunction (Fatigue), don’t hesitate to reach out by emailing me back or scheduling a session.
Here is to less stress and MORE ENERGY in 2017!